CBD is a fairly new product, and a lack of consistent information has some consumers wondering if it will actually work for them. Some users have tried CBD once or twice without noticing a big difference in how they feel.
When trying a new wellness product, it’s important to understand that many elements go into how well it will work. Your method of taking CBD, how much you use, and many other factors have a huge impact on the outcome. At Luce Farm, we want to make sure you have the best possible experience, so we’ve compiled some tips on how to get the most out of CBD.
Take CBD Regularly for Consistent Results
Many CBD users have found that taking CBD daily can provide better results over time compared to using it on an infrequent basis. One of the great things about CBD is that with so many ways you use it, there are ample opportunities to incorporate this daily wellness habit into your routine.
CBD can be taken first thing in the morning, before bed, or at any other time of day that works best for you. When starting a new daily habit, it sometimes helps to pair it with an existing habit. Consider keeping your CBD next to your toothbrush or taking it at the same time as your daily vitamins and supplements.
The time of day and how often you use CBD both impact your results. For example, if you use CBD to feel more calm and balanced throughout the day, you might take your first serving before work and another serving midway through the workday. If you’re taking CBD so you can get a good night’s rest, it’s a good idea to consume your CBD serving about an hour before bedtime.
Getting into a regular routine with CBD allows you to take advantage of increased cannabinoids in the body over time, which can help produce more consistent results.
When Taking CBD, Method Matters
Did you know that different methods of taking CBD require different periods of time to kick in? Some methods take effect almost instantly, while others take quite a bit longer. The effects of CBD will last anywhere between 2 and 8 hours depending on your metabolism and other biological factors. Knowing what to expect in terms of method and timing can help CBD users have better control over their experience.
Method 1: Sublingual
One of the most common methods of taking CBD is the sublingual route. This usually involves using a tincture like Luce Farm’s Full Spectrum Hemp Extract and allowing the CBD to absorb through the capillaries of the thin membrane found under the tongue. To take CBD sublingually, place your preferred dose under the tongue and hold it there for one minute. After the time has elapsed, swallow the remaining extract. The CBD that is absorbed under the tongue should begin to take effect in 15 to 45 minutes. The remaining CBD that was swallowed will be absorbed during digestion, which takes more time.
Method 2: Oral/Edible
CBD takes effect more slowly (usually in 1-2 hours) when taken orally versus sublingually. But some prefer the ease and convenience of simply swallowing CBD extract or mixing it into a glass of water.
When taken with food, CBD will release more gradually into the bloodstream and can also last longer than sublingual or topical methods. Edibles like CBD gummies and other recipes can be a tasty way to get your daily serving of CBD. Our tinctures can be added to smoothies, savory sauces and salad dressings. Luce Farm’s hemp-infused honey, locally sourced from Vermont, can be a delicious addition to desserts or warm beverages!
One important note about CBD edibles: Overheating CBD can damage cannabinoids and render them less effective. It’s best to keep the temperature of your CBD extract below 220 degrees Fahrenheit (104 degrees Celsius). This is very similar to the boiling temperature of water and well below the temperature used to bake cupcakes.
Rather than adding CBD to your batter or dough, some alternative ways to add CBD to baked goods include incorporating it into a frosting, a cooled simple syrup, or other decadent sauce. If you’re adding CBD to hot beverages like coffee or tea, be sure to allow your drink to cool down to a comfortable drinking temperature before incorporating your hemp extract.
Method 3: Topical
Applying CBD topically is a great way to achieve targeted results wherever they are needed. Your body can absorb the cannabinoids through the endocannabinoid receptors found under the skin.
Many athletes and people who enjoy fitness use CBD topically after a workout to help soothe their joints and muscles. CBD tinctures that are infused with a healthy carrier like coconut oil can be massaged into the skin directly. Products like Luce Farm’s Hemp-Infused Body Balm and Hemp-Infused Warming Rub have been specifically formulated to be used on the skin to provide the soothing power of CBD right where you need it.
Which method of using CBD is best?
Only you can decide which method suits your particular needs best. To recap, taking CBD under the tongue takes effect quickly, while consuming CBD orally provides longer-lasting effects. Using CBD topically provides targeted results, rather than full-body effects. There are many other ways to use CBD, but these are a few of the most common methods used for wellness. CBD is an incredibly versatile product, and the method you choose will have a big impact on the way you experience its benefits.
Find Your Ideal CBD Serving
One of the questions we often hear is “How much CBD should I take?” Any reputable CBD provider will tell you: More isn’t necessarily better when it comes to CBD.
It’s not that taking slightly more CBD than you need is dangerous. In fact, researchers have done studies to find the toxicity level of CBD and discovered that adverse effects were only reported at quantities far higher than even the highest doses prescribed to patients with epilepsy. That said, taking more CBD than you really need is simply not any more effective. Once you have found your most helpful serving size, there’s no need to continue increasing your CBD intake unless your wellness needs change.
How do you know what the right serving size is for you? It all depends on your goals and your unique biological profile. Determining the most effective serving may take some trial and error. It’s best to start with a small serving and increase gradually. Some suggest starting with 1mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight. For a 150-pound person, this would mean starting with 15mg, while a 200-pound person may prefer to start with 20mg.
For a detailed explanation of how to find your perfect dose, check out our guide: CBD Dosing: What’s Right for You.
Keep a Results Journal
Once you’ve decided on your goals, what product you wish to use, and how often you plan to take CBD, it’s a great idea to keep track of your results. This way, you can make sure you’re getting the most out of CBD. You’ll also be able to easily adjust to suit your needs.
Need some help getting started? You can download our printable CBD Wellness Log to begin. Here are some additional tips on what to keep track of:
- Begin by establishing what you hope to achieve with CBD. Is it better sleep? Feeling calmer throughout the day? Post-workout recovery? Write down how you’re feeling and how you hope to feel with the help of CBD. Having a clear idea of your starting point can help you be more cognizant of your results.
- Let’s say you’re taking CBD to help quiet your thoughts at night in order to get better quality sleep. Consider starting your journal the day before trying CBD. Write down what time you went to bed and how you were feeling. In the morning, record how well you slept. If you use a fitness tracker, you can also take note of your total sleep time and other stats.
- The next day, start with a small serving of CBD about an hour before your normal bed time. Log the same information as you did on day one, this time noting if there was any change or improvement in the quality of your sleep.
- Continue with the same serving for 5-7 days and keep recording your results. If you find that the serving you started with is meeting your needs, feel free to continue with it as long as desired.
- If you think you could benefit from a higher serving, increase by 5-10 milligrams and continue using this higher serving and recording your observations for another 5-7 days.
- At a certain serving size, you will find that an additional 5 milligrams will not make a difference in your results. This is a good indication that you have found your serving size sweet spot.
Choose High-Quality CBD Products
The quality of the product you choose is the single most important factor in whether or not you’re getting the most out of your CBD. Even if you apply the aforementioned concepts exactly as described, a low-quality product will not help you achieve the results you’re looking for.
Here’s what to look for in high-quality CBD:
- Full-spectrum: This type of CBD contains the full range of cannabinoids, not just CBD, to help you experience the synergistic effect of all the plant compounds working in unison.
- Federally compliant: Any CBD product that claims to cure or treat any disease or condition should be considered low-quality. Federally-compliant CBD must also have a THC concentration of 0.3% or less.
- Certified Organic: CBD that is cultivated without the use of pesticides and other potentially harmful additives can help you live a healthier lifestyle. Check out our recent post about certified organic CBD.
- Supercritical CO2 extracted: Compared to butane or hexane extraction, supercritical CO2 is a chemical-free and significantly cleaner extraction method.
- Lab tested: CBD manufacturers who take the time and expense to test their products through an independent laboratory are likely to have higher standards of quality than those who do not. Lab-tested CBD can provide additional peace of mind.
At Luce Farm Wellness, our mission is to provide the highest-quality CBD products that help people truly improve their lives. That’s why we make sure that our hemp extract meets these incredibly high standards for quality. Now that you know how to get the most out of CBD, we hope you will begin to enjoy the amazing results that our customers are raving about!